[Aboriginal] ?adding packages

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Nov 20 09:11:11 PST 2014

On 11/20/14 03:50, scsijon wrote:
> Rob, just a queery that i'm reading it right!
>
> If I want to add a couple of extra packages to my aboriginal build to
> extend it, can I take it I just need to add them into the download.sh
> and the build.sh deals with it from there, or is there a better way?
>
> thanks
> jon

You can do that, but the build control images are designed to let you
natively build additional packages under qemu.

http://landley.net/aboriginal/control-images

The static-tools.hdc builds a couple packageas and uploads them to the
host. The lfs-bootstrap.hdc snapshots the root filesystem into a
writeable chroot and then builds and installs a _lot_ of packages into
it, tarring up the resulting directory and uploading that to the host.

I did a big presentation on the design ideas behind all this a few years
back:

https://speakerdeck.com/landley/developing-for-non-x86-targets-using-qemu

Maybe I should do podcasts or something explaining this. I try to
document but there's a lot of reading to understand all of it...