[Aboriginal] GCC patch licences

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Mar 29 09:10:22 PDT 2015

On 03/29/2015 01:56 AM, David Halls wrote:
> Oh I see that patch is slightly different. Are there any patches from
> later GCC versions in Aboriginal?
>
> On 29 March 2015 at 07:54, David Halls <dahalls at gmail.com
> <mailto:dahalls at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi-
>     I know GCC 4.2.1 is GPLv2.
>     Now some of the patches in Aboriginal seem to come from later GCC
>     versions (e.g.
>     http://www.crosstool-ng.org/hg/crosstool-ng/file/tip/patches/gcc/4.4.6/210-arm-unbreak-armv4t.patch)
>     Does this make the GCC in Aboriginal Linux GPLv3?
>     David

Nope, they're me independently fixing the same issues. The patch looks
similiar because that's the obvious fix, but I do _not_ take any code
from GPLv3 anyway. Ever. For any reason.

In fact, I probably derailed uclibc++ development because of this:

  http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2011-January/044697.html

At the moment I'm really hoping llvm becomes usable soon, possibly by
extracting the toolchain AOSP builds. I poked at ellcc.org but the fact
its developer extracts every upstream source tarball into his subversion
repository and then patches on top of the resulting mess makes that
really hard to work with. And when I tested his cross compiler binaries,
they were calling the host ld binary.