[Aboriginal] aboriginal changes

Geoff Salmon gsalmon at se-instruments.com
Sun Nov 15 15:54:02 PST 2015

On 11/13/2015 10:44 PM, Rob Landley wrote:
> There's enough of these now maybe it should be consistent. Hmmm...
> LOCAL? EXTRA? MY? "MY_CROSS_COMPILER=/path, MY_PATCHES=/path,
> MY_ROOT_FILES=/path" sorta works. EXTRA_CROSS_COMPILER doesn't make
> sense, and LOCAL_ROOT_FILES is slightly weird...  Sigh. Naming things,
> cache invalidation, and off by one errors...

Yeah, naming is hard. I like your MY_ suggestion. It communicates the
unofficial nature of what you're doing. Anyone setting a MY_ variable
should be aware they're introducing something that wasn't tested upstream.

> The other thing is that your external directory uses a subdirectory for
> the patch name, and the original one uses a prefix. I'd kinda like that
> to be consistent. (I'll take a stab at fixing it up myself.)

I think I was reasoning it would be easier to use a tool like quilt if I
could point it at a directory containing only the relevant patches. I
admit I haven't actually tried the workflow with quilt yet though.

> Just to confirm: you're ok with the built-in patches always being
> applied before the local patches?

Yeah, I think that makes the most sense.

- Geoff