[Aboriginal] Time for another release.

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 12 17:00:39 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 5:52 AM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> Bit past due, really.
>
> I got the sh2eb and sh2elf binflt toolchains working. Userspace isn't
> yet because nommu, I tried switching ash out for hush but it still needs
> fork().

No, hush definitely does not need fork().

It will use fork() if it _thinks_ it's being built for MMU machine.

Set CONFIG_NOMMU=y to override that detection.

Here is my test build:

$ file busybox_unstripped
busybox_unstripped: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(SYSV), statically linked, not stripped
$ nm busybox_unstripped | grep fork
080dda8c W __GI_vfork
080dda8c T __vfork
0807eb17 t collect_fork
0804f896 t fork_job
080da68b T fork_or_rexec
080b00bd T fork_transformer
0807e54b t init_fork
080dda8c W vfork
080b0f3b t vfork_child
080a7dd3 t vfork_compressor

As you see, the binary has no fork() function.

$ ./busybox hush
/usr/srcdevel/bbox/fix/busybox.t9 $

In fact, all busybox applets sans "ash" compile successfully
with CONFIG_NOMMU=y, and should work.
There can be bugs, of course.