[Aboriginal] Proposed patches to support modern toolchain

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Feb 12 11:51:30 PST 2016

On 02/12/2016 01:43 AM, David Halls wrote:
> It'd be great to move off GCC. I'm managing (just) to get Perl, Python,
> Go, Docker and QEMU compiling under Abo 1.4.5 with the GPLv2 toolchain.

I'm upgrading lfs-bootstrap to 7.8 and perl is being perl. But I found
another sed bug, and a musl bug rich fixed last night, so that's
something. :)

> The switch to musl is nice but has caused me some more headaches with Go
> (unsuprisingly - why is it so popular?).

Because the G stands for google and Ken Thompson is trying to make the
Plan 9 of languages to displace the Unix of languages (C)?

The switch to musl is because uClibc died (eglibc was a symptom of
uClibc having died, that's how long ago it happened), and the
alternative (bionic) never aimed at a full posix implementation (they're
getting better, but android repurposed "users" to mean something else).

Rob

(I'm aware of uClibc-ng, but necrophilia's never really been my thing.)