[Aboriginal] segv on powerpc

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Mar 7 07:57:30 PST 2016

On 03/05/2016 01:28 AM, David Halls wrote:
>     Hmmm, I thought that was working. (Again, try --static and see if that
>     works? If static doesn't work the system can't _boot_. Dynamic still
>     needs to be fixed, but it's nice to know where the problem is...)
>

> Yep, -static works

Alas, dynamic linking sometimes falls through the cracks in my testing,
ever since I switched the command line utilities over to static linking.

The reason I did that is it gave me about 20% speedup in package
./configure stages run under qemu. (QEMU basically acts like a processor
with very high icache page fetch latency. It has to translate each
executable page, and each time the page is modified it has to translate
it again. Linux can keep executable pages in memory, in the page cache,
but things like the dynamic linker tend to get flushed out of icache,
and thus out of qemu's translation cache. Possibly unmapping the
executable pages in the virtual mmu flushes the translation cache? Dunno.)

Is the version you're using musl or uClibc? (If musl, I need to fix it.
If uClibc, I need to convert it. :)