[Aboriginal] Possibly winding down the project.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed May 4 02:52:57 PDT 2016

On 05/04/2016 04:27 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> I've been playing a little with LLVM, maybe I should do more of that,
> but it's a giant hairball nightmare written in C++  and I don't really
> WANT to have anything to do with it. The only advantage is it's not
> FSF-maintained GPLv3 crap.

The big problem with llvm is that they're moving from autoconf to cmake,
which means the snapshotted configure file in the project that lets you
NOT install automake on the host is going away, replaced by something
that depends on python at runtime. So llvm is growing python as a
build-time prerequisite, and they don't see this as a bad thing.

Maybe someday I'll have time to do qcc, maybe someday pcc will lurch
back from the dead, or maybe somebody will write a C port of cmake. But
a toolchain that requires python as a hard build-time prerequisite is
not part of a sane system bootstrap.

Rob

(I'm aware that ditching autoconf and gmake is a laudable goal. But
cmake isn't it.)