[Aboriginal] Possibly winding down the project.

Alan Post alanpost at sunflowerriver.org
Wed May 4 08:04:21 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 03:35:13PM +0100, Paul Sherwood wrote:
<snip>
> >Sigh. I _can_ fix everything that's currently wrong with the old
> >toolchains (although it's probably a couple weeks of debugging,
> >that's
> >just what I _know_ about). Or I could ask Rich to do native
> >toolchains,
> >make a really small shell script to build and paclage a toybox
> >userspace, and move on with my life. I'm sticking on Ubuntu 14.04
> >(last
> >non-systemd LTS version) until it's end of lifed, which gives me a
> >deadline to get a working self-hosting android workstation working...
> >
> >Anybody else care to venture an opinion?
>
> For gcc+binutils, the tide seems to be against us.
>
> While android is fine for various scenarios, we'd prefer to support
> a route with a broader sponsor base.
>
> Would you be interested in collaboration to move forward with
> Aboriginal on all possible architectures using clang + musl?

Hello Rob, I've submitted a bug report and a minor patch to you
over the years.  I find Aboriginal tremendously useful so I'll
weigh in.

My use case for Aboriginal is building binaries that I can
distribute across Centos/RHEL, Debian/Ubuntu, and SUSE.  The
OpenSSL fiasco got me serious about rebuilding dependencies,
which then exposed problems in the age of my toolchain.

Paul's clang + musl proposal is more-or-less where I see myself
going -- for all the reasons discussed in this thread.  I already
have to build cmake for other packages I depend on so that is only
regular pain rather than acute pain.

I'm interested in Paul's idea.

-A