[Aboriginal] Building a floppy rescue set like BG did?

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Mar 14 16:11:41 PDT 2017

Christopher,

On 2017-03-15 03:03, Christopher Barry wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 16:05:55 +1100
> Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au> wrote:
>
>> People,
>>
>> As an exercise, I want to create a VM image (or at least backup of all
>> the files with rsync) from a SCSI drive in an old Red Hat (NOT
>> Enterprise) v5.2 Linux 486 machine (circa 1999 that does have rsync on
>> it but it has protocol problems talking to my server).  The 486 has:
>>
>> - an ISA Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller attached to a Seagate 2GB drive
>> with 6 partitions
>>
>> - an ISA ne2000 network card
>>
>> - a 1.44MB FD
>>
>> So, to be able to create the image of the 2GB SCSI drive that is in
>> the 486, I need to boot the 486 on one or more floppy disks and dd the
>> /dev/sda drive over SSH to a file on my big Fedora 25 x86_64
>> workstation.  I now have Basic Linux booting from floppies but it is
>> still 2005 vintage and uses SSH1 and I haven't been able to get the
>> old Ciphers, MACs and KexAlgorithms working with my Fedora 25 x86_64
>> server
>> - so I still can't ssh or rsync to it from the 486.  BL does not have
>> any rshd that rsync could use . . so I am thinking that AL should be
>> more up to date but I will have to build my own system it seems.  I
>> got BG's disks going:
>>
>>   http://www.giannone.ch/rescue/current
>>
>> but they didn't have support for the SCSI controller - I sent him a
>> couple of emails (and even rang him from Australia!) about getting his
>> custom build scripts of AL to modify . . but he didn't get back to
>> me . .
>>
>> Has anyone here already produced a floppy boot set?  I have just
>> cloned the git repo and am building for the 486 but it would be nice
>> if someone could make my learning curve less steep . .
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Phil.
>
> Q: does the 486 boot at all on it's own? That's not clear to me from
> this email. If it does boot, then I assume you are worried about open
> files not transferring.

Correct - RH5.2.

> If it can boot on it's own, then I also assume you can see the disk and
> and all the files and the network too.

Yes.

> If you have nc (netcat command) you can simply use dd over netcat to
> backup the system. It's the simplest way to backup a disk image to
> another host over the network.

Ah yes . .

> start nc listening on port 9000 for connections in a shell on the f25
> boxen first:
>
> # nc -l -p 9000 | dd of=/somewhere/486-rh-backup.img
> It will hang there waiting...
> (-p may or may not be needed on your f25 box)
>
> then on the 486, boot to single user mode with networking (if an
> option), or telinit S to get into single mode and start networking if
> needed.

Isn't that just Level 3?  Are you saying that after starting networking,
the system is still in single-user mode?

> From the 486 command line, dd off the entire disk (I assume it's called
> sda here):
>
> # dd if=/dev/sda | nc ip.of.fedora.box:9000
>

> This sends data in the clear though, no encryption.

Yep, no worries - it is just over the LAN.

> Being in single user
> mode, there will be very few if any important files open during the
> transfer (e.g. some logfiles may be truncated), and you should be fine.

Oh, OK - I will give it a shot!  Thanks!

> Here's the netcat source code if you need to build it on the 486.
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/netcat/netcat_1.10.orig.tar.bz2

I can't remember if it has netcat on there - I will have a look.  I
think the SCSI drive is on the way out though - but I did manage to
compile rsh - but that still didn't work for some reason . .

Even if netcat works - I am still interested in building a floppy-booted
AL system!

Regards,

Phil.
--