[mkroot] To the people who keeping pinging me off list...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Mar 12 11:11:52 PDT 2018

FYI, I disabled all the subscriptions to the old aboriginal linux mailing list
when I moved 'em over (and made new subscriptions require approval), so if you
send a message there it goes into moderation.

> Subject: Re: [mkroot] To the people who keeping pinging me off list...
> From: David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com>
> Date: 03/08/2018 02:16 PM
> To: aboriginal at lists.landley.net
>
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 15:03:18 -0500 Alain Toussaint <alain at vocatus.pub>
> wrote:
>

>>> getting the "and now we build linux from scratch and beyond linux
>>> from scratch natively under the result" infrastructure back in place
>>
>> I'd be the one in favor of that. I have been accepted as editor of
>> BLFS and even though I'm knee deep into build replicability territory
>> (build LFS --> boot LFS --> build second LFS under first LFS --> see
>> if it barf) so that I haven't been able to contribute to the 8.2
>> release, we do have request for 686 build and I do know that mkroot
>> even support 486 and build a kernel for it (I myself would be curious
>> to find a 486 able to boot LFS 8,2).
>
> I might be able to help with that.  If I recall correctly, I was
> responsible for adding the original Aboriginal Linux support, and I
> still have the 486 device I needed that for.  Building LFS and BLFS is
> on my TODO, and is near the top of that TODO.

I'm pretty sure 486 support works properly in mkroot? But you're right, I do not
have actual 486 hardware to test it on, just qemu...

Rob