[mkroot] To the people who keeping pinging me off list...

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Mar 13 09:28:18 PDT 2018

David,

On 2018-03-13 06:43, David Seikel wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:11:52 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>
>> FYI, I disabled all the subscriptions to the old aboriginal linux
>> mailing list when I moved 'em over (and made new subscriptions
>> require approval), so if you send a message there it goes into
>> moderation.
>
> My current "mkroot" email folder is still called "FWL".  I've been
> around here for a while.  lol
>
>> > Subject: Re: [mkroot] To the people who keeping pinging me off
>> > list... From: David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com>
>> > Date: 03/08/2018 02:16 PM
>> > To: aboriginal at lists.landley.net

>> > I might be able to help with that.  If I recall correctly, I was
>> > responsible for adding the original Aboriginal Linux support, and I
>> > still have the 486 device I needed that for.  Building LFS and BLFS
>> > is on my TODO, and is near the top of that TODO.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure 486 support works properly in mkroot? But you're
>> right, I do not have actual 486 hardware to test it on, just qemu...
>
> I started building LFS 8.1 on Sunday, and later today (Tuesday my time)
> I'll continue.  I'm starting with the "build it manually yourself"
> method suggested in the automated LFS page, and scripting it myself as
> I go along.  I'm up to the beginning of chapter 6, I'll likely start on
> bits of BLFS after finishing that.  Chapter 6 should go quickly, half
> of it is building the stuff already built with some minor variations.
>
> Today I downloaded the 8.2 stuff, I'll switch over to that next, I was
> trying 8.1 first coz I had downloaded it's source some time ago.
> Bandwidth in Australia is expensive, I have to carefully ration out
> things like downloading 7 GB of LFS + BLFS source code, and 8.2 was
> only recently released.
>
> Then I'll move to using Aboriginal Linux for the job, which I have
> experience with, or skip straight to mkroot which I haven't tried yet.
>
> Currently building it on my x86_64 test box natively, I will at some
> point tell it to build for 486.  Then I can test things on my real 486
> hardware, which my old Aboriginal Linux build still works fine on.
> Earlier this year the 486 device was being audited by the government
> test labs, as it's the sort of device that requires that sort of thing.
>
> I did have the idea while working on this, that the various test suites
> that LFS builds for all the software that toybox replaces, might be a
> good idea to see if we can get them to test toybox.  Dunno if you have
> tried that yet.

Where are you in Australia?  If you were nearby I could probably help
with downloading - I also have a working 486 (JPG attached) for which I
want to make an image of its old SCSI drive to see if I can virtualise
it.  If it were possible, this is also the machine I would like to make
some mkroot boot / root floppies for - although that seems too hard . .

I have been trying to find the time for ages to do the LFS thing on my
newer / faster workstations.

I was in Sydney (still go back there occasionally) but now I am in a
little country town (see below).

Regards,

Phil.
--