[mkroot] To the people who keeping pinging me off list...

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 10:17:48 PDT 2018

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 09:43:09 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> (In general git has some of the same problems as android does: it's
> made by privileged people for whom certain resources are basically
> free. Can't log the repo without fetching gigabytes of data? Why
> would you ever _not_ spend gigabytes of data and disk space to
> produce 200k of text? Doesn't _everyone_ have a multi-terrabyte ssd
> they can afford to replace annually hooked up to unmetered fiber?)

Yeah, I had that problem when a client wanted me to switch their 3D
virtual world viewer to the latest at the time Google embedded web
browser.  The viewer includes a web browser for mostly trivial things,
but something small like Netsurf isn't god enough for them.  Luckily the
client was paying well, so I just ate the cost of a weeks worth of
downloads to get Google's embedded web browser build environment.
That's a weeks worth in bandwidth quota cost, I have a fibre
connection, it only took a few hours to actually download.

Yes, I could blow my entire months quota in a single day, and still
have time for meals and sleep.  I dread the day some one aims a DDOS at
my home while I'm out.

Don't get me started on replacing expensive high capacity ssd.  There's
a reason why I keep my TBs on spinning rust.