[mkroot] To the people who keeping pinging me off list...

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 13:22:28 PDT 2018

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 14:53:19 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 03/13/2018 02:30 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:28:33 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
> > wrote:
> >> So there are still some design decisions to make here. :)
> >
> > Sounds like my goal of having mkroot produce a 486 LFS 8.2 bootable
> > image by the end of next weekend might not be such a good idea if
> > you are gonna change it next weekend anyway.  I'll switch to 486
> > Aboriginal Linux + LFS for this week then, and switch to mkroot /
> > hermetic later when the dust settles.
>
> My worry would be that aboriginal's toolchains are really old now
> (something like 11 years), and I'm not sure all the current packages
> will build with them.

Which is why I'm starting with a by the book build.  Figure out how
it's supposed to work first, get that right, then screw with it to get
what I want.

"What I want" in this case is two final goals.  One is a BLFS build
suitable for what I call my "Magic Pixie Dust" micro SD card, a
currently 200 GB micro SD card with over 20 different OSes (and other
stuff) on it, giving me a useful tool to carry around with a tiny USB
micro SD card adapter, that I can plug into any random computer people
ask me to do tricky things on.  Also a learning / teaching tool.  I'm
thinking swapping to a 256 GB micro SD card might be worthwhile, dunno
yet.  The second goal is a BLFS build for my embedded 486, mostly as an
experiment to try out mkroot, see if it's suitable for the next version
of my clients embedded device.  For both goals replacing things with
toybox is part of it.

The journey is as important as the destination here.

> (Mostly it's the kernel that complains. Userspace doesn't care.)
>
> > So I get to play with your lfs-bootstrap control
> > image after all.  The LFS build scripts I have been writing should
> > slot into that easily enough anyway, they are using similar
> > concepts.  Common infrastructure to get and unpack the package
> > tarballs, then call build scripts named after the packages to
> > actually build them.  LFS has it's own airlock step, chapter 5.
>
> Linux From Scratch is where I got the idea from. I just ratcheted it
> up a bit. :)

Maybe a second airlock step might do the job.  Build Aboriginal Linux
first, boot it up in qemu, use that to build the LFS airlock step,
including the newer toolchain.

I'll see when I get there.  Depends on timing.  So far this week lots
of unexpected busy work has come my way, and I'm now two days behind
in my LFS project.  Which really only matters coz I've posted my plans
for this week to this list, people might be watching.  lol

If that continues, you might get the hermetic change over done to a
point where it's suitable for my use on this project before I get
around to trying LFS under Aboriginal Linux builds.