[mkroot] To the people who keeping pinging me off list...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Mar 13 13:41:17 PDT 2018

On 03/13/2018 03:22 PM, David Seikel wrote:
>> Linux From Scratch is where I got the idea from. I just ratcheted it
>> up a bit. :)
>
> Maybe a second airlock step might do the job.  Build Aboriginal Linux
> first, boot it up in qemu, use that to build the LFS airlock step,
> including the newer toolchain.

I was considering that, but architecture support (armv8) and the ability to run
current kernels kinda threw a wrench in that.

I'm still thinking something like an extended xv6 might be a reasonable
approach. People keep telling me to look at netbsd but I think I'm biologically
incapable of caring about them after https://lwn.net/Articles/197748/ given that
_microsoft_ was the company that stepped up to bail them out.

Besides, netbsd isn't an improvement on
http://landley.net/notes-2014.html#11-09-2014
http://landley.net/notes-2014.html#18-06-2014
http://landley.net/notes-2014.html#01-04-2014
http://landley.net/notes-2013.html#15-09-2013
http://landley.net/notes-2012.html#20-12-2012

And there are a bunch of alternatives probably farther along than xv6,
http://landley.net/notes-2017.html#22-02-2017

But for the moment: Linux.

Rob