[qcc] TODO?

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Wed Oct 21 06:39:58 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015, 04:20 Рысь <lynx at sibserver.ru> wrote:

You're talking about android like it's The Only Future and we can't
escape. I wonder why such a hype to a corporation-influenced binary OS.

Rob is talking about extracting open-source code from an open-source
distribution of Android. So "binary" is false. And "corporation-influenced"
is an ad hominem attack. You have the code. Call out what you don't like in
the code and point to some thing better that's not "corporation-influenced."

I work for Google, but I have no particular love of Android; my only
particular interest in it is that it runs on small devices. I run
Cyanogenmod on my Nexus 7. I use F-Droid on my corporate phone to install
open source alternatives whenever I can.

My biggest gripe is against the Play store. It has convinced potential and
past open source developers that they can get rich on their, when most of
the time they'll get a pittance while the community loses far more value
through the closing of their code. And more often, they keep it closed just
to put ads in it, though many of the projects in F-Droid are open source
apps that have ads in their Play Store version. That I can live with; if
you are too dumb to install F-Droid you can live with the ads.

The worst thing is that AdMob is one of the products I support. I am an SRE
so I keep it running rather than adding features to it, but still. I do
complain about it a lot though.

I wish the Play Store had a way to search for open source projects. Even
searching for "open source" turns up mostly closed source apps. Which
reminds me, I need to submit that as a feature request.