[Toybox] Pondering a release.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Dec 14 05:46:03 PST 2011

So I really need to cut a release of the BSD-licensed code and do a
general website update.  I haven't done so yet because the menuconfig
infrastructure is still GPL, and although none of that code winds up in
the resulting binary it would be cleaner to replace it.  Alas, writing
my own menuconfig is nasty enough I haven't done it yet, and the logical
thing to do it in would be Python which I don't want as a build
dependency.  (Current menuconfig sucks in ncurses, but not for "make
defconfig" and such that don't pull up a GUI.)

(I could also just ship a cached copy of the defconfig .config file, but
that seems kinda silly...)

The current build prerequisites are C and BASH, and doing a new
menuconfig in either seems a bit... awkward.

In any case, I'd like to get a release out by the end of december.  I've
been totally exhausted by work, and my time off is to be spent with
relatives, but we'll see what I can manage.

Small commands have been trickling into the repo as I find time.  I've
got some vague ideas for a redo of the dirtree stuff (I'm uncomfortable
with the fixed-length buffer now that Linux has largely abandoned
PATH_MAX, and would like to use the various thingyat() functions, but
there doesn't seem to be a getdentsat() so I'm not sure what the point
would be...?  I don't want to perturb the getcwd() pointer but I don't
see a clean alternative with the current interfaces that doesn't involve
making an arbitrarily long string.  I mean, I can do a clever thing
where each path component is on the stack and the recursive calls make a
linked list going up the stack, but then I do what with it: reconstruct
the string repeatedly by traversing the linked list, which would have to
be doubly linked to easily go backwards anyway?  Not necessarily a win...)

Anyway: stuff.