[Toybox] toybox - beastiebox - sbase

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Nov 16 06:31:23 PST 2011

On 11/15/2011 05:11 AM, Jens Staal wrote:
> Now with the relicensing to BSD rather than aiming for a merge with
> busybox,

I note that the BSD license doesn't prevent busybox from using my code,
not that they were before without a crowbar and some handholding...

> would it be interesting to pull in some code from similar
> projects like beastiebox (http://beastiebox.sourceforge.net/) or sbase
> (http://hg.suckless.org/sbase/)?

Maybe?  This is the first I've heard of either one.  (Does the second
have a web page?)

I have a large "low hanging fruit" list of commands I've already worked
out more or less how I want to implement.  (Some because implementation
is obvious, some because I already implemented that in busybox and can
port my old implementation to my new framework.)  I've also got a
tarball of the android toolbox source (fairly useless), and over the
years I _have_ read through every command in busybox more than once, and
am vaguely familiar with what it's doing.

The hard part hasn't been slapping together a bunch of command
implementations.  As you point out, lots of projects have done that.

The hard part has been making the result small, clean, and integrated,
while remaining vaguely standards compliant, not too slow, with a small
memory footprint, and possibly even working on NOMMU systems.  (Plus
coming up with a test suite that actually exercises all the functionality.)

Thanks for the heads up,