[Toybox] bzero(), rindex() and other "legacy" functions

Frank Bergmann toybox at tuxad.com
Tue Feb 7 02:37:31 PST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 01:00:51PM +0300, Dmitriy Tochansky wrote:
> While playing with toybox sources, I've found several usage of functions
> marked in Open Group Base Specifications as Legacy, rindex for example(
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/rindex.html). Is
> there any sense to use them in toybox?

see also "man rindex" =>
INDEX(3)                   Linux Programmer’s Manual                  INDEX(3)
SYNOPSIS
       char *index(const char *s, int c);
       char *rindex(const char *s, int c);
CONFORMING TO
       4.3BSD; marked as LEGACY in POSIX.1-2001.

rindex is BSD-style and not "linuxish" while Linux borrows from BSD *and* SysV.
As I asked before: POSIX 2001 marks many traditional calls as legacy,
obsolescent or deprecated. Which standard is/will toybox conforming to?
The list "C-Lib, cc C99 and OS-API POSIX.1-2001(SUSv3)" would be a nice
simple requirement list - hopefully simple enough for Rob. ;-)
stop joking - IMHO it does not make any sense using/requesting old
standards like POSIX 1996. Another question would be a Open Group standard
but IMHO UNIX03 is not widely used / recognized. And if embedded systems
are a target then 2004 or 2008 standards would IMHO not fit.

http://www.opengroup.org/austin/papers/posix_faq.html
http://compute.cnr.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?standards+5

Frank

--
EDV Frank Bergmann                           Tel.     05221-9249753
LPIC-3 Linux Professional                    Fax      05221-9249754