[Toybox] Article about toybox in h-online.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 03:25:13 PDT 2012

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 21:48:25 -0600 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 03/07/2012 06:34 AM, David Seikel wrote:

<lots of cutting>

> > (Personally I'd also want a touch screen I can use my finger nails
> > as the precision pointing implements they are and not be forced to
> > use fat fingertips.  But that's just me.  lol)
> >
> > Can you point to some examples of the pocket workstations and
> > docking stations that you talk about?  Preferably something us
> > Linux hackers can hack on freely without jail breaking and other
> > warranty voiding nonsense?
>
> For keyboard and mouse, yes.  Those are standardized.  Network and
> external storage, reasonably standard too.
>
> Video and audio, I'm not the guy to ask. :)

Video I would not WANT to squeeze through a single USB port that is
also being used for network and storage.  Just ain't enough bandwidth.
Audio at least I'm happy with what goes in and out of the audio jack,
which seems to be mostly standardised now.

Seems that the USB port on modern phones is also being used for video
and audio via something called MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link), which
is 1080p video, 7.1 audio, power, and remote controller routing, with
an option for HDCP.  The big problem is that all devices I have seen
with support for that use the one and only micre USB socket, but can't
do USB at the same time.

That still leaves WiFi and Bluetooth for the other stuff.  The next
smart phone I have my eye on you can get an attachment that lets you
send the video over WiFi.  Not sure if that's some sort of standard, or
just a special widget for the Samsung Galaxy III.

All could be done without kernel hacking.  So there are options, but
there are also still gotchas.