[Toybox] Editors and such.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jun 18 07:38:17 PDT 2012

On 06/17/2012 06:20 AM, Roy Tam wrote:
> 2012/6/17 David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com>:
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:14:34 +0800 Roy Tam <roytam at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> why not use "boxes" as the name?
>>
>> That's exactly what I did, and that worked fine.  Still, shows there's
>> a problem in toybox.  The name "toyboxes" failed, coz it got confused
>> with "toybox", the name "boxes" worked.  I can't think off the top of my
>> head of any other cases where a command we might want to support has
>> it's name being a subset of the name of some other command we might
>> want to support, but it could happen.
>>
>>> maybe we can have a simplified GNU SCREEN with it? ;-)
>>
>> Does GNU own screen?  Careful with such assumptions around here.
>
> Yes they did.
> http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

No, they have an implementation of screen. The first one I used (circa
1993) was from Sun.

The wonkypedia article says the first pair of maintainers handed it over
to a second pair of maintainers who handed it over to the gnu project.
So it's a bit like Gold and Patch and Grub and EGCS so on: somebody
wrote a thing that worked and the Gnu project managed to take it over
and plaster their name all over it as the versions they ship bloat and
lose reliability.

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.