[Toybox] Editors and such.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jun 22 06:45:49 PDT 2012

On 06/21/2012 04:03 AM, Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 03:10:59PM +1200, Andre Renaud wrote:
>>> No, they have an implementation of screen. The first one I used (circa
>>> 1993) was from Sun.
>>>
>>> The wonkypedia article says the first pair of maintainers handed it over
>>> to a second pair of maintainers who handed it over to the gnu project.
>>> So it's a bit like Gold and Patch and Grub and EGCS so on: somebody
>>> wrote a thing that worked and the Gnu project managed to take it over
>>> and plaster their name all over it as the versions they ship bloat and
>>> lose reliability.
>>
>> There is a BSD-licensed terminal multiplexer - 'tmux'. It's
>> conceptually the same as GNU screen, but I'm assuming it's a
>> completely clean code base.
>
> I might be a little biased but
>
> 	http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/
>
> works reasonably well for my purposes and the code isn't the worst either.
> Also in my opinion session handling / detach support is a separate issue
> and should be handled with dtach or a similar standalone program.

I'm ok saying we _shouldn't_ have something in toybox if it's
sufficiently complicated and there's an existing standalone solution for
it that's clean.

Dropbear and tinycc are like that: not part of toybox. Even though ssh
is enormously useful and having a 'c99' command is required by posix 2008.

The question here is how much of this we already need to do for shell
history, which is what I was going to implement first. (Actually the one
I've already sat down and wrestled with is "more", which turns out to
have rather a lot of these issues as well. Knowing what printable
characters actually _print_ so you know where your darn cursor is and
where the screen wraps. You'd think less would have more issues here,
but more actually hits just about all of 'em...)

Moving the cursor isn't the issue. Querying the screen size is a
reasonably contained issue. Knowing how the cursor will move when you
print out an arbitrary string: that's the hard part. (utf8 awareness is
kinda required here. And I'm assuming a monospaced font even in klingon.
And replacing the !isprint() characters below space with escape
sequences...)

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.