[Toybox] Editors and such.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 03:06:03 PDT 2012

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:03:48 +0200 Marc Andre Tanner
<mat at brain-dump.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 03:10:59PM +1200, Andre Renaud wrote:
> > > No, they have an implementation of screen. The first one I used
> > > (circa 1993) was from Sun.
> > >
> > > The wonkypedia article says the first pair of maintainers handed
> > > it over to a second pair of maintainers who handed it over to the
> > > gnu project. So it's a bit like Gold and Patch and Grub and EGCS
> > > so on: somebody wrote a thing that worked and the Gnu project
> > > managed to take it over and plaster their name all over it as the
> > > versions they ship bloat and lose reliability.
> >
> > There is a BSD-licensed terminal multiplexer - 'tmux'. It's
> > conceptually the same as GNU screen, but I'm assuming it's a
> > completely clean code base.
>
> I might be a little biased but
>
> 	http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/
>
> works reasonably well for my purposes and the code isn't the worst
> either.

I think that shares some functionality with what we want to do, but it
uses curses, which is a concept we are definitely trying to get away
from.  The basic concept is "terminal handling can be done generically
with just a few standard ANSI escape sequences that pretty much all
modern terminals can handle".

> Also in my opinion session handling / detach support is a separate
> issue and should be handled with dtach or a similar standalone
> program.

A agree that this is a separate issue, best dealt with by some other
program.  Though no reason why that other program could not be some
other toy.