[Toybox] Editors and such.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jun 30 18:02:55 PDT 2012

On 06/30/2012 07:01 PM, David Seikel wrote:

>>> I don't care about emacs or vi, but vi is apparently mandatory,
>>> though hideous,
>>
>> It's in posix, and is the only text editor that is unless you count
>> "ed". That means I'd need a reason _not_ to do it. (I might eventually
>> wind up doing ed, since sed is halfway there...)
>
> Actually, vi includes an ex mode, and ex includes an ed mode.  Think ed
> might just come for free with vi.

Busybox has gone more than a decade without having that, and nobody's
ever complained that I noticed. But they do have a separate ed
implementation because explicitly it's in posix.

Me, I use the "v/y/p" commands that are missing from busybox vi because
it's the cut and paste functionality. (I only know a dozen or so vim
commands. before that it was Joe, but joe and ctrl-s do not combine
portably, and wordstar bindings wanted ctrl-s...)

>  Oh yeah, my infrastructure is aiming
> at sed to.  All fairly similar at the basic level anyway.

What does interactive line editing have to do with sed, a line-by-line
regex stream processor I previously wrote the busybox implementation of?

Just wondering.

>>> and basic emacs should be trivial, with a full emacs being
>>> more hideous. Simple emacs, yep easy to do, could almost do it now.
>>> Microemacs subset, most likely I'll do it.  Full emacs, not gonna
>>> happen.
>>
>> Microemacs is what Linus uses, apparently. That probably makes it a
>> reasonable target:
>>
>>   http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/uemacs/
>
> There's also "MicroGnuEmacs", which changed it's name to mg coz Richard
> "GNU/Linux dammit" Stallman apparently objected.

"A bad thing exists".

Don't care?

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.