[Toybox] Editors and such.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 17:01:02 PDT 2012

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 18:36:55 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> >> I honestly don't care, but if it's easy to do...
> >
> > I don't care about emacs or vi, but vi is apparently mandatory,
> > though hideous,
>
> It's in posix, and is the only text editor that is unless you count
> "ed". That means I'd need a reason _not_ to do it. (I might eventually
> wind up doing ed, since sed is halfway there...)

Actually, vi includes an ex mode, and ex includes an ed mode.  Think ed
might just come for free with vi.  Oh yeah, my infrastructure is aiming
at sed to.  All fairly similar at the basic level anyway.

> > and basic emacs should be trivial, with a full emacs being
> > more hideous. Simple emacs, yep easy to do, could almost do it now.
> > Microemacs subset, most likely I'll do it.  Full emacs, not gonna
> > happen.
>
> Microemacs is what Linus uses, apparently. That probably makes it a
> reasonable target:
>
>   http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/uemacs/

There's also "MicroGnuEmacs", which changed it's name to mg coz Richard
"GNU/Linux dammit" Stallman apparently objected.

/me snickers.