[Toybox] New toy: login

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon May 14 16:38:20 PDT 2012

On 05/01/2012 03:20 AM, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
> On 04/29/2012 03:13 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
>> On 04/28/2012 08:35 AM, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
>>>
>>> Attached is a patch which make login depend on probing crypt.h and
>>> shadow.h following the unshare example.  I turned these into two probes,
>>> just to keep things a bit more understandable, and i suspect that some
>>> future toys might depend on either shadow or crypt.
>>
>> Um, can we wait to split them until something _does_ need them split?  I
>> hate having infrastructure awaiting a user, it tends to accumulate and
>> then not fit right if somebody _does_ need it. (Yes, I have seen code
>> _preemptively_ bit-rot.)
>>
>>> Regarding the --as-needed. I can update make.sh to contain something as
>>>   -Wl,--as-needed,${REQUIRED_LIBS},--no-as-needed but what would be a
>>> sensible way to populate the $REQUIRED_LIBS variable ?
>>
>> Have each test do:
>>
>>    REQUIRED_LIBS="$REQUIRED_LIBS,fruitbasket"
>>
>> And then at the end:
>>
>>    [ ! -z "$REQUIRED_LIBS" ]&&
>>      REQUIRED_LIBS="-Wl,--as-needed$REQUIRED_LIBS,--no-as-needed"
>>
>> (Note the missing comma before $REQUIRED_LIBS since each addition starts
>> with one.)
>
> Modified, see patch in attach. I put the required variable in a separate
> generated file, which gets sourced/cleaned by the main make.

Sorry for the delay responding.

Unfortunately, I don't really like this version either: it seems like it
really shouldn't need a "generated" file for command line arguments.
(This file is not a naturally included chunk the way headers and kconfig
chunks are...)

After rejecting a patch twice I feel obligated to fix it myself, which I
haven't had a chance to do yet, hence the delay...

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.