[Toybox] New toy: login

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed May 23 10:52:30 PDT 2012

On 05/15/2012 01:12 AM, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
> On 05/15/2012 01:38 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
>> On 05/01/2012 03:20 AM, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
>> Sorry for the delay responding.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't really like this version either: it seems like it
>> really shouldn't need a "generated" file for command line arguments.
>> (This file is not a naturally included chunk the way headers and kconfig
>> chunks are...)
>>
>> After rejecting a patch twice I feel obligated to fix it myself, which I
>> haven't had a chance to do yet, hence the delay...
>
> No problem, we all know you've been quite occupied. I'll gladly take
> another go at it and do some typing, but perhaps it's best to first
> figure out the approach you will like.  The generated file was a way to
> circumvent running the probes all over again.

Understood.  However, if what we're testing is just "does our build
environment have this library", and if so always throwing it into the
--as-needed pile and letting the linker figure out whether or not it's
actually used, then doing so at compile time shouldn't be a huge deal.
(Compiling "true with -libm shouldn't take very long.)

We're not really testing that the libcrypt they have _works_ (that would
be setting a config symbol and dropping out the commands).  We're just
trying to avoid the build break from an unknown library:

  $ echo "int main(int a, char **b) {return 0;}" | \
    gcc -xc -o /dev/null -Wl,--as-needed -lm -lcrypt -lwalrus
  /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lwalrus
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

We can probably assume that if libcrypt is there it provides some
minimal functionality. Seems straightforward enough, I can test it and
check it in this evening.

Rob

P.S. after spending this morning once again lifting heavy boxes, I've
finally got everything out of the condo. I am _moved_. Cleaning people
come this afternoon and realtor starts showing it to people tomorrow.
The reason this is relevant is I get some of my evening and weekend time
back again.  Yay!
--
GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.