[Toybox] I aten't dead.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 22:27:07 PDT 2012

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:39:47 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 10/08/2012 02:09:18 AM, David Seikel wrote:
> > I recently switched over to using fetchmail, filtered through
> > maildrop,
> > to deliver to a local courier IMAP server, then access my mail on
> > that
> > IMAP server from a variety of clients on various hardware (desktop
> > and
> > phone).  Works for me.  Certainly solved my "email client takes too
> > long
> > to grab all the email" woes.
> >
> > The beauty of this is that if some part is not working for you, just
> > swap it out for some similar part.  Better than an all in one email
> > client, where judging by Robs blog thingy, all of them suck in one
> > way
> > or another.
>
> The suck is ubiquitous, yes. I wash my email through gmail for the
> superior spam filtering (based on leveraging an enormous userbase so
> they can see the repeated patterns), but gmail also filters out
> emails I sent coming _back_ to me, meaning that when a list sends me
> copies of my own posts they get eaten by gmail, so i can't see if
> I've already replied to a message in a list (unless my client marks
> it replied-to, which Balsa didn't do if I replied through gmail's web
> interface), and also so that threaded views have gaps in them that
> screws up the threading in any conversation I've participated in.
>
> Alas, I can't fix gmail's suck by patching Balsa. Or with a python
> script.
>
> Fetchmail requires you to install a mail server on your local machine
> so it can deliver to loopback. Any program that requires a third
> party software _suite_ in order to append its output to a text file
> is too dumb to live.

Ah, fair enough.  Installing a local IMAP server so I could access my
email from a variety of boxes at home was the general plan.  In my
case, fetchmail made more sense, the mail server already existed as
part of the plan.  Fetchmail just provided the "how to get email from
various places in the background without using a sucky all in one email
client" solution.  So now I have lesser requirements for email clients,
half of the work is done by other software.