[Toybox] I aten't dead.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Oct 25 17:39:47 PDT 2012

On 10/08/2012 02:09:18 AM, David Seikel wrote:
> I recently switched over to using fetchmail, filtered through
> maildrop,
> to deliver to a local courier IMAP server, then access my mail on
> that
> IMAP server from a variety of clients on various hardware (desktop
> and
> phone).  Works for me.  Certainly solved my "email client takes too
> long
> to grab all the email" woes.
>
> The beauty of this is that if some part is not working for you, just
> swap it out for some similar part.  Better than an all in one email
> client, where judging by Robs blog thingy, all of them suck in one
> way
> or another.

The suck is ubiquitous, yes. I wash my email through gmail for the
superior spam filtering (based on leveraging an enormous userbase so
they can see the repeated patterns), but gmail also filters out emails
I sent coming _back_ to me, meaning that when a list sends me copies of
my own posts they get eaten by gmail, so i can't see if I've already
replied to a message in a list (unless my client marks it replied-to,
which Balsa didn't do if I replied through gmail's web interface), and
also so that threaded views have gaps in them that screws up the
threading in any conversation I've participated in.

Alas, I can't fix gmail's suck by patching Balsa. Or with a python
script.

Fetchmail requires you to install a mail server on your local machine
so it can deliver to loopback. Any program that requires a third party
software _suite_ in order to append its output to a text file is too
dumb to live.

To work around balsa, I wrote a python pop3 fetcher. It's fairly
trivial:

#!/usr/bin/python

import poplib

pop3=poplib.POP3_SSL("pop.gmail.com")
pop3.user(myuser)
pop3.pass_(mypassword)
plist=pop3.list()
for i in plist[1]:
  i=i.split()[0]
  i=str(i)
  msg=pop3.retr(int(i))
  open(i,"aw").write("\n".join(msg[1]))
  print "%s\n" % "\n".join(msg[1])
  pop3.dele(int(i))
pop3.quit()

Although mostly I just let balsa download its own stuff and used the
above to specifically delete the emails that had a line longer than
1024 characters (which makes balsa's download abort, they now have a
fix for it upstream). Both of them were generated by apple's mail
client, by the way, which does not flow paragraphs.

Yes, Balsa was slow downloading, but the real delay was A) making time
to deal with it at all (which I could do until after the 14th when my
two weeks notice at Polycom ended), B) debugging enough to figure out
what was actually _wrong_.

Honestly I needed a couple weeks of watching "She-Ra, princess of
power" (it's on netflix streaming), playing Sims 3, and biking all over
the place. Now I'm finally recovered enough from Polycom to start
digging into my open source todo list. (I dread facing the Linux
documentation stuff. I need to set up a git repo and figure out how to
sign commits with an acceptable key. The key I _had_ was on the netbook
that got stolen last month, meaning I can't consider it secure anymore
even if they just wiped the netbook with windows to resell it.)