[Toybox] complaining about 'ifconfig' - better use 'ip'

Bastian Bittorf bittorf at bluebottle.com
Thu Apr 4 01:17:17 PDT 2013

* Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> [04.04.2013 10:03]:
> I've used "ip" a couple times. I mostly use ifconfig, because it's
> there and I see no upside in using "ip". I also use iwlist and

iwlist is also dead since a long time, the successor is 'iw'
which shares/imitates to 'ip' syntax

> ifenslave and tunctl and various other tools. Does ip have some kind
> of plugin architecture to suck all that into one big monolithic
> command?

there is not plugin-arch, just one command which simply
manipulates the kernels netlink-interface.

> >if you are
> >really using 'ifconfig', you should better switch now. the
> >pain will be much worse if you wait again 2 years...
>
> In what way? I vaguely recall first hearing about "ip" back under Red
> Hat 9, which shipped in 2003. So I've been successfully largely
> ignoring it for 10 years now. What's queued up to change in the near
> future?

i will. there is no work done anymore on ifconfig, even the manpage
says to switch.

> Is there a standard on this? I'm happy to implement a standard...

there is no standard, just reallive (like the mount or init-command):
every developer in the network world has realized, that doing the
'ifconfg/route/arp/netstat'-thingy was a dead-end-street.

bye, bastian