[Toybox] complaining about 'ifconfig' - better use 'ip'

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 01:35:28 PDT 2013

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 10:17:17 +0200 Bastian Bittorf
<bittorf at bluebottle.com> wrote:

> i will. there is no work done anymore on ifconfig, even the manpage
> says to switch.

My copy of the ifconfig man page does not mention the ip command, and
certainly does not say to switch.

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 20:03:46 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> Right, let's get back to the current 1.0 goal of toybox, which is
> making android self-hosting, which involves replacing android
> toolbox, which has ifconfig but does not have ip. We _cannot_ replace
> toolbox without implementing ifconfig. We can do so without
> implementing ip.

THAT's the real reason why toybox should keep ifconfig and friends.
pre existing systems we want toybox to be a drop in replacement for
already assume the existence of ifconfig.  If a power user thinks the
ip command is better, they can install that to.  The two can live quite
happily with each other.  If something we want to be a drop in
replacement for requires the ip command, we can do both with some
shared code.

Toybox already has an ifconfig implementation.  If you want an ip
implementation, submit one.  If you don't want ifconfig in toybox,
disable it when you build it.  The rest of the arguments seem pretty
pointless and annoying.