[Toybox] complaining about 'ifconfig' - better use 'ip'

Bastian Bittorf bittorf at bluebottle.com
Thu Apr 4 02:42:00 PDT 2013

* David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com> [04.04.2013 11:25]:
> My copy of the ifconfig man page does not mention the ip command, and
> certainly does not say to switch.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/ifconfig
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/net-tools

(seems in debian this note on top is missing). debian is very
conservative. arch linux is the other way around.

> happily with each other.  If something we want to be a drop in
> replacement for requires the ip command, we can do both with some
> shared code.

shared code makes sense. sad: a lot of code (the commandline parser)
cannot share. but you are right: one can simply disable X or Z.

> disable it when you build it.  The rest of the arguments seem pretty
> pointless and annoying.

is always the same with people which are used to CVS and very
annoyed if somebody reveals that there is now git/mercurial.

nobody should be annoyed:
i just encourage you to "cut off old braids".

bye, bastian