[Toybox] complaining about 'ifconfig' - better use 'ip'

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Apr 4 19:28:04 PDT 2013

On 04/04/2013 04:42:00 AM, Bastian Bittorf wrote:
> * David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com> [04.04.2013 11:25]:
> > My copy of the ifconfig man page does not mention the ip command,
> and
> > certainly does not say to switch.
>
> http://linux.die.net/man/8/ifconfig

So a third random guy has an opinion, on the internet.

> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/net-tools

So they don't include network configuration in LSB, and half of LSB is
reverting posix-2008 to posix-2001, and they've gone through _5_
not-android embedded distributions (Maemo, Moblin, Meego, Tizen,
Yocto), and they specified RPM as part of LSB which pissed off Ubuntu
to no end...

And they think that this thing that they don't standardize is obsoleted
by this other thing they don't standardize.

> (seems in debian this note on top is missing). debian is very
> conservative. arch linux is the other way around.

55% of the linux workstation market last I checked. I'm not saying they
have good technical judgement (/bin/sh->dash), but declaring normal by
pointing at a minority is weird.

Arch, meanwhile, declared static linking to be obsolete:

   http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.arch.devel/19143

(Meaning aboriginal linux's default configuration won't build on it.)
And they went to systemd. Those guys are _nuts_.

> > happily with each other.  If something we want to be a drop in
> > replacement for requires the ip command, we can do both with some
> > shared code.
>
> shared code makes sense. sad: a lot of code (the commandline parser)
> cannot share. but you are right: one can simply disable X or Z.
>
> > disable it when you build it.  The rest of the arguments seem pretty
> > pointless and annoying.
>
> is always the same with people which are used to CVS and very
> annoyed if somebody reveals that there is now git/mercurial.

I completely reject that analogy. I've used cvs, svn, git, and
mercurial. I've also used ifconfig and ip. The cases are nothing like
each other.

You have an irrational hatred of ifconfig, but haven't said what's
wrong with it. Just taken it for granted that "everybody" knows that ip
is infinitely superior. It's like Jorg Schilling and Solaris vs Linux,
or Glen Beck and gold vs the dollar.

> nobody should be annoyed:

You. You are annoyed. This entire thread is you being annoyed. That's
why you started it, that's why it continues. You have established
nothing but that you are annoyed.

> i just encourage you to "cut off old braids".

And switch to plan 9?

   http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/8/ipconfig

They don't use this "ip" thing either.

You've never said what's _wrong_ with ifconfig. You've just gone "ew".