[Toybox] complaining about 'ifconfig' - better use 'ip'

Bastian Bittorf bittorf at bluebottle.com
Fri Apr 5 01:18:30 PDT 2013

* Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> [05.04.2013 09:00]:
> >http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/net-tools
>
> So they don't include network configuration in LSB, and half of LSB
> is reverting posix-2008 to posix-2001, and they've gone through _5_
> not-android embedded distributions (Maemo, Moblin, Meego, Tizen,
> Yocto), and they specified RPM as part of LSB which pissed off Ubuntu
> to no end...

this is what it want to say, because somebody use LSB as an argument
for 'ifconfig' against 'ip' ...

> Arch, meanwhile, declared static linking to be obsolete:
>
>   http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.arch.devel/19143

read again. somebody had an idea, but there are enough reasons
(others complained) not to do so.

> >is always the same with people which are used to CVS and very
> >annoyed if somebody reveals that there is now git/mercurial.
>
> I completely reject that analogy. I've used cvs, svn, git, and
> mercurial. I've also used ifconfig and ip. The cases are nothing like
> each other.

so the question: would you ever use CVS/SVN again if you have the choice?
there are still people stamping on the ground saying CVS is not obsolete.

> You have an irrational hatred of ifconfig, but haven't said what's
> wrong with it. Just taken it for granted that "everybody" knows that

i said, but seems all my arguments seem invalid. (till now, nobody
jumped in to support my opinion)

> ip is infinitely superior. It's like Jorg Schilling and Solaris vs
> Linux, or Glen Beck and gold vs the dollar.
>
> >nobody should be annoyed:
>
> You. You are annoyed. This entire thread is you being annoyed. That's

you misunderstood me. i'am not annoyed, just educational.

> >i just encourage you to "cut off old braids".
>
> And switch to plan 9?

to 'ip' rob, to 'ip'...

bye, bastian