[Toybox] complaining about 'ifconfig' - better use 'ip'

Isaac Dunham idunham at lavabit.com
Thu Apr 4 22:33:03 PDT 2013

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 11:42:00 +0200
Bastian Bittorf <bittorf at bluebottle.com> wrote:

> * David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com> [04.04.2013 11:25]:
> > My copy of the ifconfig man page does not mention the ip command, and
> > certainly does not say to switch.
>
> http://linux.die.net/man/8/ifconfig
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/net-tools
>
> (seems in debian this note on top is missing). debian is very
> conservative. arch linux is the other way around.

Because that note is not in the original man page; meaning that it was "deprecated" by a third party (though there is a note under "BUGS" at the end, saying "please use ip link" for showing full address information on Infiniband--but then, is anyone planning to use infiniband with toybox? And do we have to be bug-for-bug compatible?).
See:
http://net-tools.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=net-tools/net-tools;a=blob;f=man/en_US/ifconfig.8

Digging that up indicates that net-tools is very much alive, with at least 5 regular contributors within the past year or two and several 6 weeks ago.

So this sounds more and more like plain, unadulterated, FUD.
--
Isaac Dunham <idunham at lavabit.com>