[Toybox] Broken find [Was: Re: Towards find cleanup]

Tim Bird tim.bird at am.sony.com
Thu Apr 11 17:53:18 PDT 2013

On 04/11/2013 03:12 PM, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 04/11/2013 04:37:36 PM, Felix Janda wrote:
>> Now I think that I know better how this toy works and see that my
>> cleanup
>> has broken it.

>> evaluate(*fnext, node, fnext);
>> operation
>> evaluation of
>> evaluated.
>> for some
>> nodes.
>> would have expected
>> 'or' operations,
>> feeling that
>> completely wrong,
>> sides of the
>>
>> The reason is that we want the side effects evaluate has on *fnext. If
>> we have a prefix expression like
>>
>> OR AND CONDITION1 CONDITION2 CONDITION3
>
> You can have and/or prefix expressions?
>
> $ find . -or -exec echo one {} \; -exec echo two {} \; | grep two
> find: invalid expression; you have used a binary operator '-or' with
> nothing before it.
>
>> and CONDITION1 is false, the current version of evaluate will
>> 1. see OR
>> 2. descend to AND
>> 3. find that CONDITION1 is false (side effect: *fnext=CONDITION2)
>> 4. don't evaluate *fnext but go back to OR
>> 5. OR now checks CONDITION2 instead of CONDITION3.
>
> I'm not following this at all.
>
> I did however try this:
>
>    find . -exec echo one {} \; -or -exec echo two {} \; | grep two
>
> It does not print two for any of the files, so -or is successfully
> short-circuiting. This is in the gnu/dammit version.
>
>> In the previous version of evaluate in step 4 CONDITION2 would have
>> been
>> evaluated, ignored and as a side effect fnext would then point to
>> CONDITION3.
>
> Which behavior is right, and can you give me a test command line I can
> try in the other implementation?

>> test2_with_side_effects {} \;'
>>>
>>> POSIX says that these short-circuit evaluations shall be applied.
>> (The
>>> same applies for -a.)
>>
>> Now we have the problem that we want to have some side effects of
>> evaluate but not all of them.
>
> I'm not following this.

The prefix evaluation is an artifact of the implementation.
find expects and infix expression on the command line.  This find
converts that to prefix during parsing.  I did this because I
thought it would be easier to evaluate (with my weird stateful
evaluator :( )

I think the easiest solution is to keep the pre-fix format of
the parsed expression, but handle short-circuiting directly.
So OR would become something like:
if (filter->op==OP_OR) {
	result = evaluate(filter->next, node, fnext);
	if (result) {
		skip(*fnext, node, fnext);
		return result;
	} else
		return evaluate(*fnext, node, fnext);
}

Of maybe the expression tree should actually be put into a binary
tree form, instead of serial pre-fix form, for easier traversal.
 -- Tim

Tim Bird
Architecture Group Chair, CE Workgroup of the Linux Foundation
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Network Entertainment