[Toybox] Introduction

Bas Pape baspape at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 08:10:18 PST 2013

Hi all,

Speaking to him on IRC yesterday, Rob requested I send a mail to this
list, so here goes. Having looked at the toybox site, I can say that
my ideas and ideals and those of toybox are quite far apart from
eachother, so don't expect me to have a big opinion about things.
Things that triggered Rob's "I'm interested" response were an init
system (tinit, see [1]) and a fancy unshare[2].

tinit is written from scratch and somewhat crappy at the moment; my
main system is its sole user and it needs quite a few improvements to
make it remotely usable for others. I intend to rewrite it a bit and
replace the profile directory with a single file, to make it easier to
use in containers.

The fancy unshare is something I wrote when I felt like playing around
with namespaces, without having to use lxc. I also have tdev on
github, which is supposed to become a simple device manager at some
point; currently it can parse udev rules (very ugly self written
parser, probably should be replaced by something using ragel) and it
can read a netlink socket. Then there is arpscan, which is somewhat
silly and uses ualarm.

That's all I have for now.

[1] https://github.com/Tucos/tinit/
[2] http://sprunge.us/ObWQ