[Toybox] Introduction

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Feb 22 09:59:02 PST 2013

Sorry for the delay. Crazy month, writing this from an Android panel at
CELF I really should be paying attention to. :)

On 02/06/2013 10:10:18 AM, Bas Pape wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Speaking to him on IRC yesterday, Rob requested I send a mail to this
> list, so here goes. Having looked at the toybox site, I can say that
> my ideas and ideals and those of toybox are quite far apart from
> eachother, so don't expect me to have a big opinion about things.
> Things that triggered Rob's "I'm interested" response were an init
> system (tinit, see [1]) and a fancy unshare[2].

I have downloaded both.

> tinit is written from scratch and somewhat crappy at the moment; my
> main system is its sole user and it needs quite a few improvements to
> make it remotely usable for others. I intend to rewrite it a bit and
> replace the profile directory with a single file, to make it easier to
> use in containers.
>
> The fancy unshare is something I wrote when I felt like playing around
> with namespaces, without having to use lxc.

It's better than my stub. :)

> I also have tdev on
> github, which is supposed to become a simple device manager at some
> point; currently it can parse udev rules (very ugly self written
> parser, probably should be replaced by something using ragel) and it
> can read a netlink socket. Then there is arpscan, which is somewhat
> silly and uses ualarm.

I'm aiming at more of an mdev approach, but need to redesign it based
on top of devtmpfs. And I also need to work out how to support
android's init format, and what Ubuntu's upstart is doing...

> That's all I have for now.

I hope to get time to process this sunday. (Saturday I'm onna plane all
day.)

Thanks,