[Toybox] toybox initd

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Jan 31 10:51:57 PST 2013

On 01/29/2013 12:43:38 AM, Ilya Kuzmich wrote:
> Hi Rob.
>
> Thank you for your repy.
>
> > Mind if I forward this response to the toybox mailing list?
> Sure, why not.

Sorry this is taking so long. I started a new job a couple weeks back,
and it's away from home so there was travel and apartment hunting and
visiting nearby relatives before that.

Finally catching up a bit, and then I was sick all last night. (I have
four nieces and nephews. There are four active strains of flu. I expect
each of them to give me one, but this was probably just something I
ate.)

> > Finally, I need to study upstart and systemd and see what that's
> all about.
> > But I haven't even started looking at that yet.
>
> I didn't digged very deep yet, but it's appears to me, that both of
> them eat
> dynamic hw events and apply them to the dependency tree, if it brings
> boot
> closer to the "goal" (i.e. runlevel). Like - "Oh, we got net device.
> You want
> apache running, right? Let's then start net first and let's see where
> it will
> bring us". Something like that, plus systemd reimplemented xinetd in
> own way.
> But there is a great possibility, that i'm misinterpreted things
> somehow.

I know systemd is a horrible hairball that sucks in a dozen different
daemons into one big interdependent mess. I'm hoping it dies with
desktop Linux and Android does something completely different.

I'm currently cutting a bugfix release because cp -Rn checks the
initial target directory, notices it's there, and doesn't overwrite
it... or recurse into it. (Oops. This means aboriginal can't collate
the simple-root-filesystem and native-compiler, the result is just
simple-root-filesystem with a couple files removed by the prep script.
And _this_ is why I do native test builds).

While I'm there I have a few other pending things that are nearly done
anyway: new time command, some id fixups that let me do groups as a
wrapper around id -Gn which oddly enough is what LSB says to do... I'm
actually partway through implementing "test" but dunno if that should
wait until next time.

Then I really need to finish mount and umount, and then I can take a
look at init.

Thanks,