[Toybox] Modinfo parm/parmtype patch

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jul 8 00:59:12 PDT 2013

On 07/07/2013 05:57:41 PM, Andre Renaud wrote:
> Yes, you're correct - the only way to handle that output type is to
> buffer the parm/parmtype options until the end, and then intelligently
> merge them. For such a minimal toy that doesn't really seem like a
> sensible thing to do.
> I guess the question is how close to the module-init-tools modinfo do
> we want to be? I expect that we don't really want to be particularly
> close if the code complexity cost is high. The simplest solution is
> probably just to add parmtype in to the list of tags and leave it at
> that. At least that way all the useful information is displayed so
> people can read it.
>
> I've never seen any scripts that parse modinfo, and given busybox
> doesn't support this either it probably isn't worth worrying about.

This is not an area I have any expertise in. (The systems I build have
static kernels, and the module setups I deal with usually have distro
infrastructure managing them.)

I'm happy to lean on other people's expertise here if you guys come to
a consensus, but this is an area where you need to tell me what you
need. I'm not informed enough on module usage patterns to have an
opinion.