[Toybox] new toy: logger

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Mar 24 15:30:44 PDT 2013

On 03/22/2013 09:47:38 AM, Ilya Kuzmich wrote:
> Implements -t -p ans -s. Same functionality as busybox logger sans
> numeric facility. Do we really need this?
>
> There is one sublte corner case though:
> logger "", logger "" "", or even logger </dev/null
> gnu silently ignores all of them
> busybox logs logger "" and logger "" "", but ignores logger </dev/null
> this toy logs them all

The reason I haven't done logger yet is nothing specifies what the log
levels should _be_. Posix says:

   http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009696699/utilities/logger.html

> The logger utility saves a message, in an unspecified manner and
> format,
> containing the string operands provided by the user. The messages are
> expected to be evaluated later by personnel performing system
> administration tasks.

Which is almost useless as a spec.

You've hardwired in a dozen plus names, including a bunch of local#
names which don't seem particularly advisable. Those names do _not_
include three of the four android ones:

   https://lwn.net/Articles/474000/

That has "main", "events", "radio", and "system", hardwired into the
kernel. (And uses a different mechanism to write to them, each with its
own /dev node going into a separate kernel buffer.)

Hmmm, I've thrown it into pending so I don't lose track of it, but
there's pending design work here.