[Toybox] new toy: logger

Georgi Chorbadzhiyski gf at unixsol.org
Sun Mar 24 16:10:53 PDT 2013

On 3/25/13 12:48 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 03/22/2013 10:11:52 AM, Georgi Chorbadzhiyski wrote:
>> Around 03/22/2013 04:47 PM, Ilya Kuzmich scribbled:
>>> Implements -t -p ans -s. Same functionality as busybox logger sans
>>> numeric facility. Do we really need this?
>>>
>>> There is one sublte corner case though:
>>> logger "", logger "" "", or even logger </dev/null
>>> gnu silently ignores all of them
>>> busybox logs logger "" and logger "" "", but ignores logger
>> </dev/null
>>> this toy logs them all
>>
>> I think toybox already have that.
>>
>> http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2012-April/000422.html
>
> Ok, re-triaging this. (Sorry if I'm a bit woozy right now, been sick
> all week.)
>
> The strings and mdev stuff are moot, mke2fs needs a restart. (I should
> also move toysh.c and login.c into pending, they need work.)
>
> Your logger is cleaner, but I mentioned the issues with both last
> message.

Other stuff probably can be easily added on top mine logger code.

> What were the license terms on the test.c you derived yours from? It
> looks like a lot of people touched it over the years.

The code is taken from NetBSD source tree and should be public domain (which
probably means I can just slap the toybox license header over it, but that
seemed rude, so I kept the original file header and just added the needed
bits to fit into toybox).

/* $NetBSD: test.c,v 1.37 2008/09/10 19:00:51 christos Exp $ */

/*
 * test(1); version 7-like  --  author Erik Baalbergen
 * modified by Eric Gisin to be used as built-in.
 * modified by Arnold Robbins to add SVR3 compatibility
 * (-x -c -b -p -u -g -k) plus Korn's -L -nt -ot -ef and new -S (socket).
 * modified by J.T. Conklin for NetBSD.
 *
 * This program is in the Public Domain.
 */

ftp://ftp.ulakbim.gov.tr/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release-5-0/src/bin/test/test.c

> The two portability ones... Hmmm, I'm torn. I gave a talk at CELF last
> week about my plans going forward:

Couple of weeks ago I tried to port the portability fixes to current toybox
and failed miserably, so they probably need complete redoing.

--
Georgi Chorbadzhiyski
http://georgi.unixsol.org/