[Toybox] Hello, I would like to carve out a project

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri May 24 08:32:28 PDT 2013

On 05/23/2013 05:13:37 PM, Terrel Shumway wrote:
> I listened to Rob's "Why Toybox" talk and I understand the urgency.
>
> My recent coding experience has been in Python, but I did some C a
> long
> time ago. I would like to help.

Yay!

> Is there a important command that a semi-newbie could whip out in
> ~40-80
> hours?  I am thinking of pgrep/pkill,  but I am willing to work on
> something else that may be a higher priority.
>
> This would be part of my capstone project for B.S.

I'm unaware of anybody working on pkill.c, sounds good to me.

Something we really need is help with code cleanup. I'm doing a long
series of posts explaining cleanup work I'm doing on other people's
contributions:

uuencode:
http://landley.net/hg/toybox/log/landley.net/toys/posix/uuencode.c
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-April/000904.html
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-April/000903.html
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-April/000919.html

ifconfig: http://landley.net/hg/toybox/log/907/toys/pending/ifconfig.c
843:
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-April/000882.html
844:
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-April/000881.html
852:
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-April/000921.html
862:
863:
864:
866:
869:
870:
878:
879:
883:
898:
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-May/000974.html
905:
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-May/000992.html
906:
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-May/000994.html
907:
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-May/000995.html

(The point is to teach other people how to write a 500 line command in
one or two files instead of a 1500 line one touching eight files.)

> -- Terrel
>
> BTW: Hardware wise, I have a Nook simple touch and a Raspberry Pi
> that I
> would love to put to use.

Cool.

I have a project called Aboriginal Linux
(http://landley.net/aboriginal) that creates system images for a bunch
of different architectures, boots them under qemu, and natively build
codes in the emulated system (which includes a native toolchain capable
of building Linux From Scratch). It was the project that got me into
busybox development, trimming a self-compiling system down to just 7
packages (busybox, uClibc, linux, binutils, gcc, make, bash). I'm now
gradually replacing busybox with toybox (as described in
http://landley.net/toybox/roadmap.html), and need to swap uClibc out
for musl as soon as I get time to rewrite ccwrap. (After finishing
mount.c.)

Unfortunately, qemu 1.2 was the last good release, 1.3 and 1.4 have
glitches in tcg, and when they finally fixed that in 1.5 (commit
52ae646d4a3e) they screwed up the arm versatile board emulation's IRQ
routing (in commit 66a96d7018b9). I need to poke 'em and maybe they can
get a fix into 1.5.1 or something...

Anyway, that's http://landley.net/aboriginal if you're interested in
testing on (emulated) ppc and sparc and such.