[Toybox] Hello, I would like to carve out a project

Terrel Shumway pythonista466 at gmail.com
Fri May 24 10:06:37 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> I have a project called Aboriginal Linux (http://landley.net/aboriginal)
> that creates system images for a bunch of different architectures, boots
> them under qemu, and natively build codes in the emulated system (which
> includes a native toolchain capable of building Linux From Scratch).

It was from aboriginal that I found toybox.  I was looking for a tiny distro to
turn my laptop into a web/shell terminal -- hard drive crashed, SD card
access is slow (why? IDK), so I want to run from RAM.  TinyCore Linux is good.
I am also looking at sabotage.

> It was
> the project that got me into busybox development, trimming a self-compiling
> system down to just 7 packages

Sounds like I have been traveling the same path.  Your warning about
creating an accidental distro really hit home.

> need to swap uClibc out for
> musl as soon as I get time to rewrite ccwrap. (After finishing mount.c.)

OT: Exactly what remains to ditch uClibc? musl looks pretty complete.

> Unfortunately, qemu 1.2 was the last good release, 1.3 and 1.4 have glitches
> in tcg, and when they finally fixed that in 1.5 (commit 52ae646d4a3e) they
> screwed up the arm versatile board emulation's IRQ routing (in commit
> 66a96d7018b9). I need to poke 'em and maybe they can get a fix into 1.5.1 or
> something...

hmm... I remember something about "submit small patches that touch few
files" ;-)
(this is why I prefer git over hg (slightly))