[Toybox] Generic editor. Was: fold implementation

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 10:11:56 PDT 2014

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 18:57:24 +0200 Hadrian Węgrzynowski
<hadrian at hawski.com> wrote:

> Dnia 2014-04-09, o godz. 02:45:55
> David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
> > Advanced editors allow arbitrary mappings between keystrokes and
> > commands.  In this case having strings would be the way to do it.
> > Perhaps we wont ever get as far as supporting such advanced editing
> > features, perhaps not.  My study of the commands that are on the
> > toybox roadmap that might use this broke things down into "dead
> > simple commands that get something barely usable", "basic commands",
> > "advanced commands", and "code editor specific stuff".  My intention
> > is to implement things in that order.  At some point along that
> > progression we might decide "this is where we stop".  As you keep
> > saying, a stopping point is good.  So far, other than "lets not
> > write an entire operating system like Emacs", no stopping point has
> > been decided. "Dead simple commands" was my stopping point for my
> > first code drop.
>
> Hello.
>
> It's my first message to this mailing list so pardon me if it's
> generally known. Could this be used as basis for implementation of
> less?

That's exactly what it's for.  I had sent a much bigger bunch of code
to the list some time ago that used this to implement really basic
versions of less, more, emacs, vi, joe, mcedit, and nano.  Also
intended to use this for a shell and mc, but those where not done
then.  Hence the "generic editor" subject.  Rob wanted me to send it
all in smaller bite sized bits though, so this is the first bite sized
bit.

https://github.com/onefang/boxes includes this bit, and the rest if you
are interested.

My plan is to implement fuller version of those things as toybox toys.