[Toybox] New toy: simple mixer

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Aug 4 07:18:20 PDT 2014

On 08/02/14 16:09, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 11:55:23AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
>> Sorry for the delay, had to wade through 57 spam messages to find this.
>> (The number of messages winding up in the spam filter isn't huge yet,
>> but I was sidelined for a couple weeks by household issues.)
>>
>> On 07/29/14 17:15, Bradley Conroy wrote:
>>> /* mix.c - A very basic mixer.
>>>  *
>>>  * Copyright 2014 Brad Conroy, dedicated to the Public Domain.
>>>  *
>>
>> Added to pending.
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1) about the name: when I type "mix" at the ubuntu command line it says
>> I can get it by installing the package "anon-proxy" which seems
>> unlikely. Is there a tool this is based on?
>>
>> I know of an existing aumix (which has a different interface), and
>> alsamixer (ditto)...
> and cmix, ossmix, and a large number of other mixers.

And pavucontrol, and...

>> 2) Is this at all likely to work on android? I don't know what audio
>> subsystem they use. (This is... alsa? When I run it it says "/dev/mixer:
>> no such file or directory".)
>
> I should be able to answer the questions, though I wasn't the author.
> (We had some discussion related to this on the Puppy Linux forums.)
>
> 1) There's nothing it's really based on, other than the general
> concept of a command line mixer. mix was pixed because that's what it does.

Ok. I was just wondering about namespace pollution, since this doesn't
specify that it's an audio mixer. (It could be some sort of a
cryptographic function, or a text processing thing I hadn't heard of...)

Still, the help says when you try it, so...

> 2) /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp are OSS3, which you can handle on ALSA-based
> systems by loading snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss (the first loads
> the second).
> If you use this approach, ALSA does not have a separate volume control.
> OSS is not supported in standard android kernels, though it would be
> possible to enable it.

Possibly it should try to insmod the modules when the /dev entry isn't
there?

> (3: "what is this for, anyhow?":
> testing sound on Aboriginal builds.

I didn't enable sound in any of the target kernels and I dunno what qemu
would support if I did, but yay sound.

> 4: "why on earth is it using OSS3?":
> I think it's because using the ALSA kernel interface sucketh...)

This I have heard repeatedly...

Ok. Thanks.