[Toybox] New toy: simple mixer

Isaac Dunham ibid.ag at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 14:09:24 PDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 11:55:23AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> Sorry for the delay, had to wade through 57 spam messages to find this.
> (The number of messages winding up in the spam filter isn't huge yet,
> but I was sidelined for a couple weeks by household issues.)
>
> On 07/29/14 17:15, Bradley Conroy wrote:
> > /* mix.c - A very basic mixer.
> >  *
> >  * Copyright 2014 Brad Conroy, dedicated to the Public Domain.
> >  *
>
> Added to pending.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) about the name: when I type "mix" at the ubuntu command line it says
> I can get it by installing the package "anon-proxy" which seems
> unlikely. Is there a tool this is based on?
>
> I know of an existing aumix (which has a different interface), and
> alsamixer (ditto)...
and cmix, ossmix, and a large number of other mixers.

> 2) Is this at all likely to work on android? I don't know what audio
> subsystem they use. (This is... alsa? When I run it it says "/dev/mixer:
> no such file or directory".)

I should be able to answer the questions, though I wasn't the author.
(We had some discussion related to this on the Puppy Linux forums.)

1) There's nothing it's really based on, other than the general
concept of a command line mixer. mix was pixed because that's what it does.

2) /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp are OSS3, which you can handle on ALSA-based
systems by loading snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss (the first loads
the second).
If you use this approach, ALSA does not have a separate volume control.
OSS is not supported in standard android kernels, though it would be
possible to enable it.

(3: "what is this for, anyhow?":
testing sound on Aboriginal builds.

4: "why on earth is it using OSS3?":
I think it's because using the ALSA kernel interface sucketh...)

HTH,
Isaac Dunham