[Toybox] Some questions re: init...

ibid.ag at gmail.com ibid.ag at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 01:26:24 PST 2014

I was looking over init, and noticed some things that seemed possibly
less than optimal, as well as one detail that seemed illogical.

First, the oddity:
  p = getenv("TERM");
#ifdef VT_OPENQRY
  int terminal_no;
  if (ioctl(0, VT_OPENQRY, &terminal_no)) {
    if (!p || !strcmp(p,"linux")) putenv((char*)"TERM=vt102");
  } else
#endif
  if (!p) putenv((char*)"TERM=linux");

As I read it, this code will set TERM to vt102 if
(1) the VT_OPENQRY ioctl is supported, AND
(2) TERM is not set or is set to "linux".

This ioctl returns 1 to MAX_NR_CONSOLES or -1, so
  if (ioctl(0, VT_OPENQRY, ...))
will ALWAYS be true since (-1) is still nonzero.
But I don't see why "is another tty available" should change the
environment of the one tty.

I see no point to this oddity, especially given the common use of
"TERM=linux".
Deleting this would lose the one #ifdef.

Second, I note that init.c uses a number of x* functions and calls
error_exit() in some cases...
These could panic the system on failure.
-x*alloc/xstrdup/xmsprintf (lines 119-121, 153-155, 169) in the inittab
parsing is justifable; if malloc fails before init starts anything,
there's no way we're running anything.

-final_run will panic if fork()/vfork() fails (line 236).

-Do we need to exit on failure to write informational messages?
I'm thinking of lines 55 (failure to open console) and 439 ("started
init" message).

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham