[Toybox] [New toy] partprobe

Samuel Holland samuel at sholland.net
Sun May 25 17:18:57 PDT 2014

On 05/25/2014 06:15 PM, Rob Landley wrote:
> Could you give me an example use case? (You resize the partitions
> without calling fdisk which would already call this ioctl...?)

1. You make changes to partitions with fdisk while they are in use
(forgot to umount, vgchange -an, etc.), so after remedying the
situation, you run partprobe to apply the already written changes.

2. You copy the partition table from another disk or restore from a
backup using dd.

Those are the times I've specifically used it. Another command that does
the same thing is partx from util-linux. It gives you more control over
adding/updating/removing individual partitions, though, so it's not
entirely duplicate.

Regards,
Samuel Holland