[Toybox] Question about ping.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Oct 12 22:53:48 PDT 2014

On 10/13/14 00:29, Рысь wrote:
> 13 октября 2014 г. 8:51:13 KRAT, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> пишет:
>> My question is: should I _also_ include the old raw socket support (as
>> fallback? With a config option?) or is it good enough to just have this
>> and not support ping on 2.6 kernels? (It's easy enough to make it
>> compile even when it does work, or to have a compile-time probe to
>> switch it off in defconfig...)
>>

> Will ping work when invoked by root or not in that case?

The new way does not require ping to run as root.

> The old and always worked way is prefferable IMO. Is there a reason to change?
> I, for example, use ping (and other such tools) with a universal setuid wrapper
> which (re)execs it as "user,root:user,user". I do not want any breakage here in future.

Toybox has its own suid handling, which requires the suid bit on the
toybox executable. (Or you can build a toybox executable with just the
suid commands and a second one with the non suid commands, and point the
symlinks appropriately.)

The thing is, Linux added an API that lets you do the same thing without
requiring root access to do so. Seems like an improvement, especially
since toybox isn't always installed with the suid bit set. (So you have
to run things _as_ root to use the stuff requiring root.)