[Toybox] Getting Toybox into Android before the NetBSD userland wins out

Isaac Dunham ibid.ag at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 22:29:48 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 01:22:47AM +0000, Jason Spiro wrote:
> About a month ago, I wrote:
>
> > Splendid!  [...] I've filed a feature request in the Android public issue
> > tracker.  I estimate that it could take a couple of days until it finally
> > gets assigned to Elliott Hughes, and then a couple more days until he
> > replies.
>
> The Android folks have replied.  More work will be required before Toybox can
> get into Android.  Please see the relevant feature-request discussion, reply
> there, then click the "star" icon to get updates in your email inbox in the
> future.
>
> Please see the discussion at:
>
>         http://b.android.com/76861
>
> Kind regards,
> --
> Jason Spiro:  computer consultant.

>From what I see, we need to make utmpx.h, shadow.h, and pty.h optional.

pty.h is minimal: disable telnetd (pending) and part of netcat.

utmpx.h is something I've been wanting an excuse to disable.
It means turning off w, who, and the user count in uptime.
(There's also a lot of stuff in pending that will get turned off.)

shadow.h bites; it means we'll need to disable su, passwd, login, and
(pending) sulogin.
I suppose that the Android authentication system will be completely different.

Since I'm eager to see utmpx made optional, I'll be sending in a compile-time
probe for utmpx shortly. (I have the test written, but have not tried it
or hooked it up.)
And while I'm in the process of mucking around with that, I might as well
add compile probes for shadow.h and pty.h.

There was an old patch queue related to Android support that seems to have
not gotten applied, but large portions of it have been rendered irrelevant.

http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2012-March/000288.html
(path 0/10).

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham